The 2014 Matador Track and Field Invite was held on Saturday, March 15, 2014 at Mount Miguel High School with a total of ten teams participating. Medals were presented to top finishers in each event. Army and Navy Academy athletes faired quite well, winning a total of 10 medals – the most ever!
Here’s a breakdown of those receiving medals:
- In the 100 meters, Timothy Mack placed 3rd, running a 11.88.
- Nico Allen ran a personal best of 2:13.78 in the 800 meter race.
- Aren Johnson also ran an all-time personal best of 9:54.66 in the 3200 meter (2 miles).
- Our 4×100 relay team consisting of sprinters Brandon Um, Isaac Ross, John Ebert, and Juan Sanchez placed 3rdoverall with a time of 46.97.
- Jumpers Kava Aviu and Isaac Ross placed first and second in the long jump. Aviu jumped 20’4” to win, and Ross jumped 19’ 3” for second.
- In the triple jump, ANA jumpers did equally well – again Kava Aviu took 1st place and Isaac Ross place 3rd.
As a added note, Ross and Aviu were the top medal earners for Army-Navy – Ross earned three medals and Aviu earned two. The whole team put in a lot of effort in order to make this a successful day.
Even though we were up against much larger schools from divisions 1, 2, and 3, the Warriors held their own. If they were not competing, they were cheering on their teammates!
- Nico Allen – 1st in conference in 800M
- Kava Aviu – 1st in conference in Triple Jump, 3rd in conference in Long Jump
- Aren Johnson – 2nd in conference in 3200M
- Chris Liu – 6th in conference in the Discus
- Tim Mack – 4th in conference in 100M
- Chris Medina – 4th in conference in 800M
- Isaac Ross – 6th in the conference Long Jump and in Triple Jump
- Juan Sanchez – 5th in conference in 400M
- Michael Zhu – 3rd in conference in 800M
- 4X100 Meter Relay (Brandon Um, Isaac Ross, Jonathan Ebert, Juan Sanchez) – 3rd in conference
Well done, coaches and athletes! Warrior PRIDE!!