Campus Life FAQs

Campus Life: Frequently Asked Questions

Whom should I call to see how my Cadet is adapting to the Academy?

The first person to call is his Trainer, Advisor, Counselor (TAC), who is responsible for afternoon and evening time outside of the classroom. He is the number one person who you and your Cadet will go to with challenges or concerns.

How do you monitor attendance?

The Operations Office monitors daily attendance through teacher attendance reports and regular accountability formations.

How are barracks assigned?

Room assignments are determined by a review done by Academy Staff. If your son would like to make a change in his room assignment, he should speak with his TAC.

How can I contact my son after school?

The Operations Office is the main hub when attempting to contact your Cadet. Operations can be reached 24 hours a day at 760.547.5227.

How do I reach my son’s Trainer, Advisor, Counselor (TAC)?

Your Cadet’s TAC can be contacted via email or by phone as listed in the directory. Your Cadet’s TAC is normally on campus Monday – Thursday from 2:00 pm – 11:00 pm, and from 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm on Fridays.

TACs make every effort to respond to emails and calls within 24 hours. For urgent issues, please call the Operations Office (760.547.5227), which will contact the appropriate TAC or Staff member as needed.

Cadet Life FAQs




What do Cadets do on the weekends?

We offer structured weekend learning opportunities and other exciting weekend activities.

Am I allowed to come on campus to take my Cadet to dinner?

Absolutely! Please just give us advance notice and make sure your son is expecting you. When you arrive, check in at the Operations Office so we can page your Cadet. For accountability purposes, he will need to sign out with his TAC.

Can my Cadet go home with another Cadet for the weekend?

Yes. Please send an e-mail to your TAC to give permission for your son to spend the weekend with another family. If you have any concerns, give your TAC a call – he knows the Cadets and families, and can answer any questions you may have.

How do I check-out my Cadet when I pick him up after school for weekends or holidays?

Cadets are required to check out from the Operations Office when departing campus. Pass cards (white for local liberty, blue for overnight leave) are filled out by the Cadet and signed by the TAC prior to departure. The TAC will confirm travel plans.

How does my son get mail?

Cadet mail is distributed to the TAC daily and then delivered to the Cadets each evening.

Send letters and cards to your son through our P.O. Box: (P.O. Box 3000, Carlsbad, CA 92018-3000). Larger packages should be mailed to 2605 Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad, CA 92008. The Operations Office will ensure that Cadets receive these larger packages.

How is campus security handled?

Our campus is equipped with automated gates, a camera surveillance system, and a fire/smoke detection system. We are staffed 24-hours a day with personnel who provide campus security. Regular fire and lock down drills are preformed to help educate the Cadets on proper procedures in case of emergency.

My son has a medical appointment with a physician away from the Carlsbad area. How do I get him off campus for his appointment?

Fax or email a copy of the Cadet Absence Form to the Operations Office at least 48 hours in advance of the appointment. This will allow us time to excuse the absence and make any necessary arrangements. (760)729.2852 or